365: 15.03.13 #74 The return of the co-sleeper

Back in December, the baby started to sleep through the night. It was strange. One night, she just decided that she was over getting up in the night, that her own cot was a better place to sleep. I won’t lie. the first few nights were hard. It was odd not to have her beside me, snuggling up and snoozing by my side. I missed her. But she was growing in independence. She was sleeping well and I had to accept that. Our co-sleeping days were over.

Recently though we’ve needed each other a little more. I don’t know if she has sensed something, but she has started to really hug me. I mean properly lean out to me and when I hold her, she has been lovingly resting her head on my shoulder. And clasping her arms around me as far as they can stretch. She has also been waking in the night.

This has had a mixed reaction to be honest. It’s surprising how quickly you get used to more than two hours of sleep in a row. And how hard it is to be up in the night. We started off coming downstairs for a quick feed and then… then I remembered why we started co-sleeping in the first place.

365_co-sleeper

When the pre-schooler was born, co-sleeping was never on the table. Besides the fact he had such terrible reflux that lying flat in any bed was torture for him, I just didn’t want to do it. Not at first. We struggled to bond. There were times when I wanted to run away. There were nights where I didn’t even sleep. Instead I would sit on the landing outside his room, waiting. Waiting for him to wake. Listening to his wheezing breaths and wishing that things were different. Other nights I would be pinned to the sofa for hours while he comfort fed. It was horrible.

So there was no way I was doing the same with his baby sister. I wanted to be close to her in a way I  never was with him. So we co-slept. And we are co-sleeping again now. And it is right for us. We are doing it safely. We are happy.

7 Comments on 365: 15.03.13 #74 The return of the co-sleeper

1. Metropolitan Mum
    March 15, 2013 at 10:14 pm (3 years ago)

As long as you both are happy, go for it! I also find that with the 2nd one, I am much more relaxed about co-sleeping, ‘extended’ breastfeeding, … parenting in general seems to be easier the 2nd time around. Maybe because we know that it’s all just for such a short period in their lives. I am trying to enjoy every little second of it. Sounds like you are doing the same :)
    Metropolitan Mum recently posted..Rococo, my loveMy Profile

March 16, 2013 at 6:30 pm (3 years ago)

Yes! Thats it exactly. For me, its a case of third time lucky I think!
      xx

2. JallieDaddy
    March 17, 2013 at 1:39 pm (3 years ago)

As long as you’re all happy, that’s the main thing! Ours still co-sleep, even having just turned 3. Some time in the distant past we were settling them in cots, & they even slept through once or twice. Then illness interrupted & they ended up back with us & have been there ever since. We’re planning though to make a determined effort to try to settle them in their beds. At their age we think they should be doing that, that they would benefit from the independence.
    JallieDaddy recently posted..Silent Sunday 17/3/13My Profile

March 17, 2013 at 8:41 pm (3 years ago)

Like you say though, if it works… I guess if you’re aware that you would like them in their own room then maybe its time. BTW you must be seriosuly hanging off the edge of the bed by now?! 😀
      xx

• JallieDaddy
        March 17, 2013 at 8:49 pm (3 years ago)

In the old house we had a very big bed! Here though there isn’t room so after I help settle them I sleep on a sofa-bed downstairs! At least I get to watch the big telly in bed tho…
        JallieDaddy recently posted..Silent Sunday 17/3/13My Profile

March 17, 2013 at 9:10 pm (3 years ago)

haha and at least you don’t have to hang off the edge! last night Bella was horizontal across the bed and today my back is screaming at me!!!

• JallieDaddy
            March 17, 2013 at 9:20 pm (3 years ago)

Yeah my wife has a sore arm often, main reason she wants them in their own beds I think.
            JallieDaddy recently posted..Silent Sunday 17/3/13My Profile