Return of The Bump: 16 weeks pregnant (and a sour cherry bar recipe…)

Today I am 16 weeks and 4 days pregnant. The little bump is growing.

This week has been a lot easier with Ghostwriterdaddy at home to help out. Roll on July when he is home more than not!

This week I’ve really started to hit a bit of a turning point in my pregnancy. I am starting to really feel pregnant. I don’t mean in the feeling sick/ hormonal/ tired sense. I’ve been feeling that a LONG time! I mean, in a different sense. In a my goodness, I’m pregnant sense. I’m not sure I can explain. I just feel different. Heavier. Putting on weight. Slower. More aware of myself. We’re fast approaching our 20 week scan, after which more decisions can be made about the impending birth and maybe that’s what is making me feel it a lot more. Maybe not.

This week the poppyseed is the size of an avocado and weighs between three and five ounces. Bones are in place in the ears which means baby can now hear my voice. Voices around me. Sounds. Music. Amazing to think that there is still a good five months left until we meet this poppyseed, and yet sounds and voices are being heard! Muscles are gaining in strength. Facial expressions are being performed and eyes are moving side to side.

return of the bump_16 weeks~ ghostwritermummy.co.uk

I am being told to embrace what I cannot change. I am being told that weight gain is completely normal and absolutely fine and I am going with that for now. But it’s not easy seeing the changes happening so quickly. I still do not really look pregnant. I am still at the ‘bump or plump’ stage and I cannot wait to lose those inquisitive ‘is she?’ looks from people in the supermarket. That said, I’ve been making real efforts to eat healthily during this pregnancy, mainly because my body is forcefully rejecting most foods that aren’t fruits or vegetables,  but also in a slightly desperate bid to retain a little of me too. Shallow, maybe.

In celebration of my healthy ‘eat whatever stays down’ menu, I made some sour cherry bars and I’d like to share the recipe with you. Inspiration comes from the delicious cocoa and mint raw food bars over on Dietitian without Borders . I apologise for lack of proper measurements…

Ingredients

2 tablespoon cocoa powder

1 cup ground almonds

Handful prunes

2 cups sour cherry berry mix (or normal dried fruit mix with dried sour cherries added. This one is from Asda and has the sour cherries added in)

Any other dried fruits you have to hand

Capful of almond essence

sour cherry fruit bars~ ghostwritermummy.co.uk

Method

Place all ingredients into a blender and blend. Line a tin with clingfilm, transfer the mix into the tin and cover with another layer of clingfilm. Use your hands to press it all down. Chill in the fridge for 2-3 hours, or overnight. Cut into bars. Enjoy.

sour cherry fruit bars~ ghostwritermummy.co.uk

They really are that simple to make, and believe me they are delicious. I nibble on these in the mornings before I can face breakfast and they really help to settle my stomach and give me an energy boost too. I’ve no idea how healthy they are but they’re doing the job for me!

1. May 29, 2014 / 8:48 pm

Ooh those bars look delicious – I’ll be trying those out myself! I know EXACTLY what you mean about the “bump or plump” stage. In fact, I think I blogged about this very thing myself when I hit the 16 week mark. I felt the extra weight on my hips and was desperate for the bump that I could see and feel so clearly to be easily seen by others too so that I didn’t have to feel self-conscious about people thinking I’d just put on weight. I don’t think it’s shallow, I think it’s natural. To be honest, I’m very similar to you in the way I eat and wanting to exercise etc. It doesn’t make any difference to the weight thing – I continue to gain weight anyway (because I’m GROWING A HUMAN!) but it makes me feel a bit better and a bit more in control. Thanks for linking up again to the #BlogBumpClub. I love our little online antenatal group! x
    Molly recently posted..The Blogger Bump Club Week 3 #BlogBumpClubMy Profile

May 30, 2014 / 6:15 am

Firstly, the bars are delicious, and secondly I am so glad you understand! Lots of people keep telling me to stop being silly and eat what I like (if only it were that easy!) but nobody has actually told me they feel the same!! Thank you
      x xx

2. May 29, 2014 / 9:15 pm

These look yummy as do you (yummy mummy)-I miss my bump so embrace it, looks so cute-I adore the stage when you can really tell too-not the hard to walk bit at the end though. Don’t feel even a tiny bit broody but lovely seeing you look so gorge x
    Honest Mum recently posted..My Time at The Cannes Film FestivalMy Profile

May 30, 2014 / 6:14 am

I am trying SO hard to embrace every single stage of it and every day I am glad that I am only 16 weeks as I still have so long to go! Its hard when the sickness is bad and I feel ‘fat’ but I’m doing a lot better than I have previously!

3. May 29, 2014 / 10:45 pm

Very interesting, thanks for linking up. I’ve never eaten sour cherries so would be interesting to try them one day!
    Gemma Critchley recently posted..Liebster AwardMy Profile

May 30, 2014 / 6:12 am

Your mint and cocoa bars have inspired lots of experiments in my kitchen lately and the sour cherry ones are the favourite so far! I’m addicted to sour sweets right now so these are a good compromise!

4. May 30, 2014 / 11:07 am

I was so glad when I got a real bump as like you I was very aware of the pregnant or just fat looks!! I found that when I started wearing maternity clothes my tummy immediately looked more bump like, and less plump (which it did in my normal clothes). I guess its the shape of the top which emphasises the bump rather than a baggier top which just makes me look big!
    Hello From Jo recently posted..My Maternity WardrobeMy Profile

May 30, 2014 / 6:32 pm

Ah it is amazing isn’t it? And yes, do try the sour cherry bars- they are delicious!

5. May 30, 2014 / 3:28 pm

oh my, im jealous, i want my 16 weeks back, i think it was pretty much the time when i felt better in my pregnancy, good luck with it all and enjoy it)
    Victoria recently posted..Sleeping Bag Wish ListMy Profile

May 30, 2014 / 6:32 pm

I have to say that despite the moaning I am relishing being so early on in the pregnancy. I know now to make the most of it all
      xx

6. May 30, 2014 / 9:01 pm

Ooh I love sour cherries so these bars sound yummy 🙂 We are at such a similar stage so I know very much how you feel with the ‘bump or plump’ – great phrase for it by the way! My bump has suddenly popped this week, largely because I actually lost a little excess weight when I was ill at the weekend so my bump is a little firmer now lol! lovely update 🙂 xx #blogbumpclub
    Caroline (Becoming a SAHM) recently posted..Self Catering Holiday Preparations..My Profile

7. May 31, 2014 / 1:09 am

Awwww, how exciting! It is nice when you start to feel ‘pregnant’ and not just sick/hormonal 🙂 Really excited for you (and these cherry bars look yummy!). x Mel
    Mel recently posted..Packing for HospitalMy Profile

8. May 31, 2014 / 10:00 am

You look gorgeous and have such a cute bump. I can understand that. Hugs xx

9. June 1, 2014 / 10:30 pm

You look lovely hun. Hoping you’re feeling less sickly now that your coming up to halfway through your pregnancy. xx
    Christina recently posted..Silent Sunday 1/06/14My Profile

June 2, 2014 / 8:47 am

Ah bless you, thank you. Yes the sickness is easing a lot now x

10. June 4, 2014 / 8:29 pm

16 weeks was about my favourite stage I think. I felt really good about myself and my cuter little bump, much more so that now I’m nearing epic proportions!! I also had a gender scan and 4d peek at 16 weeks, it’s absolutely amazing to see how developed those little ones are even at that stage!
    Gemma recently posted..The great going home outfit dilemmaMy Profile

June 5, 2014 / 4:58 am

Ah, we aren’t going to find out this time around so I will have to wait the whole nine months! How long do you have left?

• June 5, 2014 / 8:56 am

31 weeks so 9 to go! Its the awkward stage where you feel uncomfortable and give up bending down lol!

I was a little desperate to find out the gender and get all the 4d scans etc. Im probably a bit too impatient. I have huge respect for everyone who waits though! Makes it just thay little more special.
        Gemma recently posted..The great going home outfit dilemmaMy Profile

11. June 4, 2014 / 8:58 pm

I know what you mean and it is really hard to explain but when you have a baby then have another it just feels in the middle more pregnant hahaha I can’t describe it either and I just did it myself. And we call ourselves writers hahahaha Love it. Your bump is tiny and gorgeous and I can’t wait to hear all about it here on your blog. Love the recipe too I am a huge fan of new recipes! Keep them coming. I will have to test these bad boys out too. Thank you for linking up to Share With Me. #sharewithme
    Jenny recently posted..Share With Me ~ wk 18My Profile

June 5, 2014 / 4:57 am

Haha it doesn’t feel tiny right now! Yes, do try the cherry bars, they v yummy!

12. June 5, 2014 / 10:58 am

The recipe sounds delicious. I loved when my bump started to grow and become more prominent, it was probably one of my favourite things about being pregnant, being able to show the bump off, other than, you know, having the actual baby! #sharewithme
    Jess @ Catch A Single Thought recently posted..My Shelfie…My Profile