Ways to play… with rainbow play dough

Recently I’ve been searching for lots of ways to play that allow me to take a less active role, in both the set up and clearing away, and the actual play too. I’ve been so sick with this pregnancy and I’m sad to say that we’ve spent far too many days doing very very quiet activities or nothing at all as I stick my head down the nearest loo. We’ve not been outside as much as I would normally either, and I cannot tell you how guilty this makes me feel. So I wanted to keep a hand in with the kids’ activities, as I know how much they love them. I had a very willing volunteer to help me make lots of different coloured play dough one rainy Sunday afternoon, and we used that in lots of play in the following days. So, here is ways to play with rainbow play dough!

ways to play with rainbow play dough~ ghostwritermummy.co.ukI always follow The Imagination Tree’s playdough recipe, you can find that here. I add colour and scent according to what we’re doing so in that case I made, red, yellow, green, blue, purple and orange.

I set up the tray with a few items- different shaped cutters, ice cream scoops and cones (sand toys), colourful milkshake cups from the tea set and some cutters and rollers) and basically left the kids to it. I wanted to see what they would make, but I also wanted this to be as ‘hands off’ as possible too.

ways to play with rainbow play dough_ tools  and dough~ ghostwritermummy.co.uk

This was invitation enough for them. While the toddler liked to use the tools and her fingers to cut, press and manipulate the dough…

ways to play with rainbow play dough_ manipulating~ ghostwritermummy.co.uk

the elder two preferred to play more imaginatively. The Big One helped The Preschooler to make milkshakes, ice creams, shapes and patterns. She spent ages playing and it was really nice to see her get involved. The Preschooler enjoyed the role play side to this activity, insisting on making me ice creams to make me feel better, and chattering away as he played. There was no direction at all from me and it was lovely.

ways to play with rainbow play dough_ creating~ ghostwritermummy.co.uk

Later that week, I wanted to use the play dough in another easy activity, but one with more direction this time. I’m keen to get The Toddler to practise her fine motor skills and to concentrate for slightly longer periods, so I set up a little spaghetti and cheerio activity for her.

ways to play with rainbow playdough_ fine motor skills~ ghostwritermummy.co.uk

The Toddler LOVED poking the bamboo skewers into the dough (this needed supervision as one end is fairly sharp, but we managed fine) and we had fun counting as she did it. I think she would have done this for the whole session if it were up to her, but as it was just the two of us, I wanted her to practise some other skills too. I encouraged her to use the cherrios and pop them onto the sticks, counting as we went. This flexed her fine motor skills muscles and was a good counting practise too.

ways to play with rainbow playdough_ fine motor skills and counting~ ghostwritermummy.co.uk

Next, I introduced a few materials that we were sent from Baker Ross. The whole kit has an Under The Sea theme (which I shall be writing more about soon!) and one of the most intriguing items in the package was seashells. Immediately, I knew they would be perfect in sensory play, and this activity lent itself really well to them. I showed The Toddler how to press the shells into the play dough, counting as I went. We talked about the patterns we were making and the shapes that were left in the dough. She loved pressing them into the dough, and lifting them up again to see what had happened underneath. We also used the chunky felt tips Baker Ross sent us to write numbers and letters on some of the shells. We practised counting 1-10 and spelled The Toddler’s name too. She loved this activity and it was nice and relaxed for poorly mummy too!

ways to play with rainbow playdough_ fine motor skills, letters and  counting~ ghostwritermummy.co.uk

These activities were inspired by the wonderful award nominated Adventures of Adam, who not only supports women suffering from HG, but blogs about HG friendly activities to do at home. I’d love to hear about the ways that you’re playing too!

30 Comments on Ways to play… with rainbow play dough

1. Emma Edwards
    June 17, 2014 at 9:13 pm (2 years ago)

So many fantastic ideas here. I feel a trip to the seaside soon to hunt for some shells – Adam would love the number factor. He is still unsure of play dough (at the moment) but can imagine he would be much happier with numbers involved.
    Taking a step back in children’s play is just as important. It gives them space to develop their own ideas and to practise the skills they have already learnt.
    Thank you for the lovely mention for Adventures of Adam. HG truly sucks – but you do meet lovely people through it.
    Emma Edwards recently posted..Playing with strawsMy Profile

June 19, 2014 at 6:44 pm (2 years ago)

Yes, you do meet some lovely people :) Hope you find some shells!

2. Nicola
    June 17, 2014 at 9:33 pm (2 years ago)

We re big fans of play dough in our house. There are some lovely new ideas for us to try here. We like to get out the googly eyes and make play dough faces or animals! #letkidsbekids
    Nicola recently posted..A Bagful of Corks and some messy hands!My Profile

June 19, 2014 at 6:43 pm (2 years ago)

AH thats a fab idea. Might make some monsters this weekend!

3. Merlinda Little (@pixiedusk)
    June 17, 2014 at 10:49 pm (2 years ago)

So timely as just few hours ago my son used his last jar of decent play dough so i might try to do this. Been meaning to do some batch but im just too busy lately. Thanks for sharing =) #LetKidsBeKids
    Merlinda Little (@pixiedusk) recently posted..Wordless WednesdayMy Profile

June 19, 2014 at 6:43 pm (2 years ago)

I know the feeling- time is never on my side either!

4. Jenny
    June 18, 2014 at 11:34 am (2 years ago)

This is fantastic and what a creative and great idea for crafts, fun and learning all in one. Couldn’t think of a better mix. I will book mark this to do with the kids. Thank you so much for linking up to Share With Me. Love the outcome of the playdough. Awesome. #sharewithme
    Jenny recently posted..Share With Me ~ wk 20My Profile

June 19, 2014 at 6:43 pm (2 years ago)

Ah glad you like it, I thought of you actually as this is one activity that isn’t too messy!
      x

5. Mel
    June 18, 2014 at 11:55 am (2 years ago)

This looks like fun! I love the idea of the sticks and cheerios! I am pinning this one right now and will probably dig out some old homemade playdough from the cupboard so the girls can do that after lunch. Mel #SharewithMe
    Mel recently posted..Baked CamembertMy Profile

June 19, 2014 at 6:42 pm (2 years ago)

Haha it was a great acitvity- kept her busy for ages! x

• Mel
        June 19, 2014 at 6:53 pm (2 years ago)

We did it after school yesterday and the kids loved it! Thanks for the inspiration. x
        Mel recently posted..Baked CamembertMy Profile

June 19, 2014 at 7:35 pm (2 years ago)

Oh of course, you tagged me on Instagram!

6. Mummy Hargreaves
    June 18, 2014 at 5:23 pm (2 years ago)

Love the fun you have had with the rainbow dough, Lil G loves a little burst of messy play. I’m guilty of not doing this so much as he spends 3 full days at Kindergarten. However I will be making an effort to get out the dough, sticks & Cheerios, I know he’ll love it!
    Mummy Hargreaves recently posted..Threenager yearsMy Profile

June 19, 2014 at 6:42 pm (2 years ago)

This is such an easy one to do, especially if you’re pressed for time. I need to get more messy play sorted for mine too!

7. Karen Bell
    June 18, 2014 at 9:27 pm (2 years ago)

Great ideas. Playdoh is always a good activity to keep children amused. I used to use it a lot with my son when I was expecting my twins. I love the learning activities you did with it too.
    Thanks for linking #LetKidsBeKids
    Karen Bell recently posted..Prince and princess pot craftMy Profile

June 19, 2014 at 6:41 pm (2 years ago)

We don’t play with it often but when we do they love it. Should make it more I guess!
      x

June 19, 2014 at 6:40 pm (2 years ago)

Oooh yes salt dough is fab too! We used it a lot at Christmas. Must make another batch soon!
      x

8. Louisa
    June 19, 2014 at 6:29 pm (2 years ago)

I’ve recently been enjoying play dough with my children. My next step is to make my own. I love the threading activity with the cheerios but I think Fran would simply eat them! #letkidsbekids
    Louisa recently posted..Playing with water beadsMy Profile

June 19, 2014 at 6:40 pm (2 years ago)

WE don’t play with it often but since I discovered it was so easy to make we use it a lot more :)
      x

9. Hayley @hayleyfromhome
    June 19, 2014 at 8:34 pm (2 years ago)

I felt just the same with my last pregnancy and felt so guilty for my lack of effort in those early months! Luckily I was never actually sick but it was just round the clock nausea and I couldn’t eat anything so felt tired, I feel your pain. This looks like some great activities to keep them enteratined, I love that you were given ice creams to make you feel better, very sweet xx
    Hayley @hayleyfromhome recently posted..This Summer…My Profile

June 20, 2014 at 11:51 am (2 years ago)

They are very sweet. I am left with pretty constant nausea now too, its so awful at times. I need to organise more stuff like this as they really enjoyed it :)
      x

10. Carie
    June 19, 2014 at 10:01 pm (2 years ago)

Those are some fabulous ideas! My two love playdoh but mostly I suspect because they like to eat it, so it tends not to stay out very long!!
    Carie recently posted..Nursing and a bump {Little Bump and Me}My Profile

June 20, 2014 at 11:51 am (2 years ago)

Oh yuk! The amount of salt that goes into mine would put them off! 😀

11. Clarissa Hooper
    June 20, 2014 at 3:52 am (2 years ago)

Love the ice cream cone play dough. And how stinkin’ sweet is that to make you feel better?!?! I think I see a hint of some galaxy dough in there too… 😉
    Clarissa Hooper recently posted..Galaxy Play DoughMy Profile

June 20, 2014 at 11:49 am (2 years ago)

Ooh whats galaxy dough? Heading over to read now! x

June 23, 2014 at 12:48 pm (2 years ago)

What a great idea! Will try that next time :)

12. The Peekaboo Baby Company
    June 24, 2014 at 12:01 pm (2 years ago)

What fabulous ideas – going to store this up for the summer holidays … fun for all ages and think they will love going to collect shells from the seaside too! Thank you :)

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Ways to play… with rainbow play dough