Passionately Curious With NCC

I have no special talent. I am just passionately curious

Albert Einstein

Recently I was contacted to ask if I’d like to complete a home learning course with NCC. And despite my advancing years, I decided that heck yes, I would like to. I am always wanting to better myself, learn new things and soak it up. I truly believe that there is always something new you can learn, even in a field you know so much about. There is no such thing as knowing it all, and I love being surprised, confused and inspired. Don’t you?

NCC run home learning courses from childcare to life coaching to marketing to creative writing. All the courses are accredited and run by a course tutor who is on hand to support and guide you while you study at home. The home learning aspect of the courses obviously suits a person like me. I have four children, I work from home, I don’t have the time to go out to college, or night school. But I want to learn. I am passionately curious.https://www.ncchomelearning.co.uk

My first instinct was to choose the Creative Writing course. I have a degree in creative writing, and I thought that this would be a great course to revisit some of my old haunts, and one that I would probably do really well in. But I guess that wouldn’t have been quite the challenge I was looking for, no matter how much I would have loved it. Writing is my main, number one most enjoyable thing to do. As a child I was forever sitting with notebooks and pens and breathing life onto the page. I was always reading, and translating what I’d read into stores, poems and notes. I always dreamt that I would some day be able to call myself a writer… and these days, for about 60% of the time I can. But I wanted a course that would really challenge me. Take me to new places. Give me skills and knowledge that nobody expected to see in me. So I chose photography.

Growing up, my estranged dad was into photography. I do remember long ago photo sessions and complicated looking equipment such as tripods, lights and huge white sheets. I remember he would take himself off for hours at a time to indulge in his hobby and it always seemed so isolating. So self absorbed and solitary. And I could never understand his need to take photos of trees, or other inanimate objects, when there were real life people right there in front of him. I can see now that it wasn’t the act of photographing unmoving objects that appealed to him, so much as the desire to escape.

And when you are behind the camera, you can escape in a way. You can immerse yourself in a world of memories, of precious moments captured at just the right time. Those little sparks of someone’s soul, right https://www.ncchomelearning.co.ukthere for all to see forever. What I now love about photography is the way that you can take a fraction of your life and preserve it forever. And as a parent, this is an amazing thing to be able to do, as life hurtles past at 100 miles an hour and your babies are no longer babies, but life is still just as busy and demanding as it ever was. To be able to stop for a moment and capture the beauty that is your child. Not a tree. Your child. That person. That soul. That smile.

I am no expert. I truly have no special talent. But i definitely have a passionate curiosity.

This year, I would like to learn how to take a good photograph. How to snatch the perfect image to sum up the perfect day. How to set the lighting, mood and atmosphere and transfer these precious days into lifelong memories. I would like to learn how to use my camera to it’s full potential and I would like to look back and say that I did indeed learn something new.

I want to capture that sideways smile that reminds me of the wonderful sense of humour my daughter carries around in her mostly serious body.

Passionately Curious Withe NCC _Ghostwritermummy.co.uk

I want to capture my son deep in thought, remembering where we were, what we were doing, what we were feeling.

Passionately Curious Withe NCC _Ghostwritermummy.co.uk

I want to remember the joy of throwing stones into the loch.

Passionately Curious Withe NCC _Ghostwritermummy.co.uk

I want to remember the peace of an afternoon by the river, watching the slow ripples on the surface, and the trickles by my toes.

Passionately Curious Withe NCC _Ghostwritermummy.co.uk

I want to remember the excitement, exhilaration and wild fascination at Disney Land.

Passionately Curious Withe NCC _Ghostwritermummy.co.uk

Every day, ordinary moments, frozen.

Passionately Curious Withe NCC _Ghostwritermummy.co.uk

They say that `a photograph is the pause button on life. And when I look at some of my most favourite photographs, I have to agree. The really good ones will take me right back there to that moment with a wash of emotions and memories, Smells, colours. Sensations. And that is what I want, if only for just one photograph. That is what I hope to get from the NCC Digital Photography course. Wish me luck!

June 3, 2016 / 6:40 am

Ah thank you. I hope so! xx

1. May 26, 2016 / 1:31 pm

Great Pics!!! <3 Also I agree it's so good to keep learning and growing <3
    Clare Elise recently posted..Music & Mummy!My Profile

June 3, 2016 / 6:37 am

Thank you! I’m hoping they will be even better soon! xx

2. May 27, 2016 / 12:58 am

That is such a beautiful post…. I agree photos are the pause button on life, and you can Never have too many of them. They are memories forever. I’d like to do a photography course. Really need a good camera first though. Can’t decide which one.

June 3, 2016 / 6:36 am

I have the Nikon D3300 which is apparently a good beginners camera. I love it and have found its quite a popular camera too- so lots of tutorials online etc xx

3. May 27, 2016 / 10:39 am

Such a great idea to sign up for a course! We’re never too old to learn and it’s always great to keep adding to our skill set xx
    Zoe Alicia recently posted..Developing my Zen AttitudeMy Profile

June 3, 2016 / 6:35 am

Definitely agree. I’m loving the course xx

June 3, 2016 / 6:34 am

Ah I think it might be on special offer at the moment?? I can recommend it! x x

June 3, 2016 / 6:33 am

Ah hope its going well. Good luck to you too! x x

June 3, 2016 / 6:33 am

Yes, learning how to use the camera was the main reason I wanted to start, but as it goes on I am really keen to take better and better photos. Its very interesting and I’m only going slowly but loving it so far xx

4. May 30, 2016 / 12:55 pm

Firstly love the three hobbies quote. Secondly I think you made the right decision, although your photography is beautiful already but as in everything there is always room to improve. Wish you all the best with your course.

June 3, 2016 / 6:32 am

I love that quote too! Thank you, I am really enjoying the course xx

5. May 30, 2016 / 7:25 pm

You always take awesome photos. These on this post are so good!! I’d love to do a course in something too. I never went to college as I had P1 when i was 16. I always feel very uneducated.
    Jodie recently posted..My Sunday Photo 2016 – #21/52 & #22/52My Profile

June 3, 2016 / 6:31 am

Ah thank you, so kind! You are NOT uneducated, life itself is a huge learning curve! At 16 there is no way I could have been a mum, I was far too childish and selfish. I think we all have different strengths and skills and thats what makes the world interesting. That said, as the kids get older whats stopping you from taking up a course in something you enjoy?? x x

6. May 30, 2016 / 10:20 pm

I love that quote about the three hobbies. Your photos are stunning, I love the one looking at the water. Hope the course helps you learn some new techniques. I agree with you that it is important to keep on learning x

June 3, 2016 / 6:27 am

Ah thank you. I’m really starting to enjoy the course too xx

June 20, 2016 / 2:35 pm