One of the best things about going on a cruise is the possibility of seeing some ocean wildlife. From whales and dolphins to ocean based birds, there are so many creatures just waiting to be spotted! But making sure that you go on the right cruise, that you have the right gear and that you have the patience to really enjoy the process are all important factors in making the most of your wildlife watching adventure. Plus if you can save a little bit of money along the way then that’s even better! So take a look at these top tips for seeing wildlife on your ferry journey or cruise.
Nature rich journeys
Make sure that you pick a nature rich journey to cruise across. Some parts of the ocean are a lot more inhabited than others, so where you go will impact how much wildlife you see. Check out all of the cruise options available to you so that you can pick the best one! If you are a bit of a wildlife fanatic then it is definitely worth using an STA travel discount code to get money off of your next adventure. They offer a vast array of travelling options and a lot of them will involve you seeing wildlife from around the world!
Make sure you take the right equipment with you
One of the best ways that you can prepare for spotting wildlife on your cruise is by taking the right gear with you. Without having the right tools you may risk your ability to spot and watch some of the many wonderful creatures that reside above and below the ocean. Remember not too spend too much though. Here are a few of the most essential things that you can take with you:
- Binoculars: Make sure that you optimise your ability to see wildlife near and far by taking some binoculars with you on your cruise. These handy little sightseeing goods will help you to spot potential wildlife from a long way off. Make sure that you invest in a pair of binoculars so that you don’t miss out!
- Camera: Remember to take a camera with you so that you can capture some of the wildlife that you see! This is a great way of recording the animals that you come across on your cruise. It is also a great way of keeping the memories of your cruise with you for life.
- Wildlife books: Make sure that you take along some wildlife books and notepads with you. This way you will be able to look up the animals that may be your area as well as recording what you have seen. You can usually find loads of these kinds of books in second hand book or charity shops, so it doesn’t have to cost you a lot of money!
There are plenty of different kinds of wildlife that you can see on your ocean travels, and investing in the right equipment is one of the best ways of giving you more of an opportunity to see it! Make sure you check out places such as My Favourite Voucher Codes so that you can save money on the equipment that you buy!
Take the time to explore the coastline when you dock
One of the best ways to see small ocean critters and sea based birds is by exploring the coastline. Make sure that you take the time to visit the coastline of your chosen destination in order to stand more of a chance of seeing the wildlife that resides in and around the ocean. This is a great way to keep costs down, and it is so much more fun that sitting in a fancy restaurant! Here are just a few places that you can find beachside wildlife:
- Rock pools: Take a look in rock pools to see if you can spot crabs, starfish and other small ocean creatures.
- Shallow waters: In many mediterranean waters you will find small fish bathing in the shallow waters. This is a great way that you can see some small fish in their natural habitat!
- Caves: Find interesting plants and critters in beach side caves. Not only do these natural casms provide excitement and aesthetic beauty, but they are also home to some of the ocean’s smallest creatures. Find mussels and crabs hidden among the rocks!
Make sure you stay patient
One of the most important things to remember when you are embarking on a wildlife watch – whether on land or sea – is that you have to be patient. Some days you will see nothing at all and some days you will see everything at once. While you sit on look out make sure that you stay patient. Set up watch outs between friends or give yourself a coffee break every now and then. Make sure that you still make use of the onboard facilities on your cruise too!
There is no guarantee that you will see wildlife in and around the ocean on your journey, but these hints and tips should get you that bit closer without having to spend a lot of money! So make sure that pick up the right equipment, take the time to explore the coast, keep your patience and head out on nature rich journey! May your ocean wildlife watching patrol begin!