Tuesdays are Bella days. The Big One is at school and the pre-schooler is at pre-school (where else would he go with a name like that?) and so it’s just me and the baby. We’ve got a nice little routine going most weeks, and it’s nice for her to get my undivided attention for at least one day a week.
I always make sure we get some fresh air so power walks with the pram are a must, but when we’re indoors I try to have as many activities lined up as possible. I know that children typically can only concentrate in minutes for their age plus 2, so the baby’s attention span is supposed to be 3 minutes. Which is about right- so hence the need for lots of activities!
Today she had the opportunity to actually play with her own toys- without her brother taking them away or taking over. We also indulged in a little cereal play.
- I emptied a small box of Rice Crispies and a handful of Shreddies onto a plate- sensory play has to be edible as everything goes into her mouth!
- She had fun touching, tasting and listening to the sounds that her hands made when she bashed the cereal.
- She played with emptying the cereal onto the (clean!) floor and back onto the plate again
- We poured the cereal into a plastic tub and put the lid on so that she could shake it and listen to the sounds it made
- She practised putting the lid on and off the tub
- She enjoyed crinkling the bag that the cereal came in, listening to the sounds it made
- She loved eating the cereal too
All of this fun (and much more than 3 minutes worth, as we returned to the activity frequently throughout the morning) with just one little box of cereal!